The kalimba is one of those rare instruments that you can play without really knowing anything about music or anything about the instrument. There are certain "rules of thumb" you can learn, and you can sound really good armed with those and a bit of confidence.
Gems of Inspiration
The Monday Tip of the Day concerns Mind/Body/Spirit, and often provides insights and inspiration for developing kalimba skills more intuitively. Here are some choice selections:
- Let the kalimba play you
- Short-cutting intuition
- Do you thirst for the kalimba's music?
- Healing rays of light and love
- Understanding the logic
- Knowing the note or taking the ride
- Wrong notes?
- Simplicity of notes
- Play with effortess grace
- Being present
- Speaking the kalimba's language
- New Age sounds (tip series)
- The wah-wah effect (tip series)
A Little Understanding Can Help (Not Hinder!)
Playing with nothing but intuition is not very reliable. But if you tap your intellect, broadly speaking (versus at a detailed level where you are concerned with each exact note), your intuitive learning can be enhanced. Check out the following tips: